Monday, July 03, 2006

Ian back in the US

After a long but smooth journey, I'm now back in my living room in Massachusetts. I've heard that there have been lots of complaints about my poor blogging effort, and I apologize for that. Didn't Alex do a great job, though?

It was a fantastic trip from beginning to end. The "chimping" was great, largely because there was lots of Uvariopsis congensis, a favorite fruit that results in large chimp parties. The chimps were usually about an hour away from camp, so we had some very early mornings, but it was worth it. Once I had dragged myself out of bed, I enjoyed the quiet cool trek through the forest to the nests. We would lie under them for 45 minutes or so, waiting for the chimps to wake up. It's amazing to see and hear the forest slowly waking up.

After leaving Kibale, we attended the huge International Primatological Society conference, which Alex has described perfectly.

Anyway, I'm feeling a little jet-lagged at the moment, so I'll sign off. But, I will write up a couple of stories and post some pics in the next couple of days. I promise.

-Ian